Oliver 12 0 0 4 min to read

To combat ASF, Iloilo wants to step up biosecurity.

Cebuano Cebuano English English Filipino Filipino


The provincial government will start a campaign to raise awareness of the African swine flu (ASF) and put the spotlight on biosecurity precautions, particularly on home farms.

In an interview on Tuesday, provincial veterinarian Darel Tabuada stated that the province has been waging a significant campaign against the ASF since 2019, but that it has slowed down because of the limitations imposed by the global pandemic.

“We will have a trainer’s training during our launching,” he said. “The trainer will conduct the information and education campaign on biosecurity measures at the municipal level.”

He continued by saying that home farms will receive more attention since they were more likely to lack adequate biosecurity precautions.

According to Tabuada, commercial farms have put in place their own biosecurity procedures and are capable of surviving on their own.

According to data from the Philippine Statistics Authority, 14 percent of the province’s pigs are raised in commercial farms and 86 percent are raised in backyards.

More or less 300,000 of the over 400,000 hogs in existence before the verified ASF cases were discovered were in home farms.

According to the most recent data, eight municipalities in the province—Oton, San Miguel, Leganes, New Lucena, Alimodian, Santa Barbara, Mina, and Barotac Nuevo—have reported occurrences of ASF.

With the exception of Barotac Nuevo, these municipalities are classified as red zones or areas where animal sickness is currently being transmitted.

In contrast to the municipalities of Oton and San Miguel, where affected farms were forced to seek assistance in the depopulation of their affected swine, Tabuada claimed that ASF instances are still spreading in the province but at a slower rate.

Using the example of a farm in Barangay Cabilauan in Barotac Nuevo where a voluntary depopulation was carried out before the detection, Tabuada said that farmers were engaging in pre-emptive depopulation.
Arthur Defensor Jr., the governor of Iloilo, will issue an executive order for the campaign that would provide financial aid to impacted hog farmers.

Defensor previously stated at a news conference that they had verified the Oton-area hog farmers that are affected and will be releasing their help on Friday.


Cebuano Cebuano English English Filipino Filipino


***
We appreciate your reading. You may also consider sharing it with others.
Please comment below if you found this post interesting.
Be one of our DONOR / SPONSOR to support NextGenDay news website.
***
Please follow and like us:
error2
fb-share-icon
Tweet 2k
fb-share-icon20
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x