North Korea has rejected the United States’ invitation to a formal summit.
North Korea has rejected a US invitation for a formal meeting and said that it has no plans to contact Washington, according to the country’s foreign minister.
The Foreign Ministry, according to Ri Son Gwon, “welcomes the clear-cut press statement made by the deputy department head of the Central Committee of the Workers’ Party of Korea,” which dismisses the United States’ premature judgment, speculation, and anticipation.”
“We are not even contemplating the idea of any communication with the US, much alone having it,” Gwon added. “It would lead us nowhere and waste valuable time.”
North Korean leader Kim Jong-powerful un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, rejected any negotiations with the US on Tuesday, saying the US might be disappointed.
“I received the news that the US National Security Advisor had stated that the stance toward the US is a ‘interesting signal,’ which the Workers’ Party of Korea’s Plenary Meeting of the Central Committee explained this time,” said a statement released by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
“The anticipation that they decided to nurture in the incorrect manner would lead to even more disappointment,” she said.
On Monday, US special envoy for North Korea Sung Kim said he was hopeful for a good reaction from Pyongyang and offered to meet with North Korean officials “anywhere, anytime, without preconditions.”
During trilateral discussions with his South Korean and Japanese colleagues in Seoul, Kim said, “We continue to expect that the DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea) would react favorably to our outreach and our offer to meet anywhere, anytime without preconditions.”
The US envoy’s remark comes after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un stated on Friday that his nation should be ready for both “conversation and conflict” with President Joe Biden’s administration.
Biden also said last month that the US and South Korea are ready to engage North Korea diplomatically.
North Korea rejected down a US invitation for talks in March, stating that discussion would only be feasible if both parties reached a “even footing.”
Choe Son Hui, the nation’s First Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs, said in a statement that Washington has attempted to contact the country via various routes since mid-February.
Former US President Donald Trump met with North Korea three times but was unable to reach an agreement on the country’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.