Filariasis aka Elephantiasis: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Control
Filariasis commonly known as “elephantiasis” is a disease caused by a parasite transmitted by mosquito
Signs and Symptoms
• Pain and swelling of the breast, vagina, scrotum, legs, and arms
• Wear long-sleeve shirts and long pants when working in farms or areas endemic to filariasis.
• Sleep under a mosquito net.
• Selective treatment with DEC (Diethylcarbamazine Citrate) is given to people with clinical manifestations of the disease.
• Mass treatment of the people living in established endemic areas.
• Medicines (DEC and albendazole) are given once a year for 5 years.
Source: Philippines Department of Health