LEPROSY Cause Mycobacterium leprae or leprosy bacilli Mode of Transmission Airborne: inhalation of droplet/spray from…
Leptospirosis: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Control
Cause: Leptospira bacteria
Incubation Period: 7-10 days
Mode of Transmission:
- Entry of the leptospira bacteria through wounds when in contact with flood waters, vegetation, moist soil contaminated with the urine of infected animals, especially rats.
Signs and Symptoms:
- Non-specific symptoms of muscle pain, headache
- Calf-muscle pain and reddish eyes fro some cases
- Severe cases result tot liver involvement, kidney failure or brain involvement. Thus some cases may have yellowish body discoloration, dark-colored urine and light stools, low urine output, severe headache.
- Antibiotics duly prescribed by a physician.
- Early recognition and treatment within two days of illness to prevent complications of leptospirosis, so early consultation is advised.
Prevention and Control:
- Avoid swimming or wading in potentially contaminated water or flood water.
- Use of proper protection like boots and gloves when work requires exposure to contaminated water.
- Drain potentially contaminated water when possible.
- Control rats in the household by using rat traps or rat poison, maintaining cleanliness in the house.
- Iwasang lumangoy, lumusong at maglaro sa baha.
- Gumamit ng bota kung kailangang lumusong sa baha.
- Sumakay sa bangka or rubber boats kung aalis ng bahay.
Mga Palatandaan ng Leptospirosis:
- Panginginig ng katawan o “Chills”
- Pananakit ng ulo, binti, kalamnan at kasu-kasuan
- Pamumula ng mga mata
- Paninilaw ng balat
- Nahihirapang umihi
Kung may lagnat ng 2 araw, agad na komunsulta sa doktor.
Buhay ay mahalaga, huwag lumusong sa baha.
Source: Philippines Department of Health