The second Sinopharm vax injection was given to Duterte
On Tuesday, Malacañang said that President Rodrigo Duterte would get his second dosage of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine made by China’s state-owned pharmaceutical business Sinopharm.
Sinopharm received an emergency use authorisation (EUA) from the Food and Drug Injection (FDA) for the administration of its Covid-19 vaccines.
“Kasama na po diyan ‘yung second dosage ni Presidente dahil hindi pa po nagkakaroon ng second dose ang ating Presidente dahil inaantay nga po itong EUA (That includes the second dosage [of the vaccination that would be given to] the President.) Because he is awaiting the EUA), the President has yet to take the second dose,” Roque stated in a virtual news conference.
On May 3, Duterte got his first Sinopharm vaccination shot. Sinopharm had not yet received an EUA from the FDA at the time.
Initially, FDA only granted a compassionate use permission for 10,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine to members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG).
In addition to the 10,000 vials planned to be delivered to PSG staff, China already contributed extra Sinopharm vaccination doses.
Duterte, on the other hand, ordered the withdrawal of Sinopharm vaccinations on May 6 due to worries that the Chinese vaccine had not yet been certified by the country’s FDA for emergency use.
As a result, Roque added, the nation will no longer return the 1,000 donated Sinopharm vaccination shots.
Duterte’s second dosage would come from 1,000 vials of donated Sinopharm vaccinations, according to Roque.
“Kaya nga po kumuha ang DOH ng EUA para dito sa mga donation na 1,000 na Sinopharm,” he added.
In December of last year, China authorized the use of the Sinopharm vaccine after its creator said that an interim review of late-stage clinical studies revealed 79.34 percent effectiveness.