Drugs, medicines, and other medical supplies worth more than PHP12.35 million have been pre-positioned by…
Foreign governments are ready to assist ‘Odette’-affected areas.
Following the destruction caused by Typhoon Odette in various provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao, the United Kingdom, China, Canada, and the European Union (EU) have stated their willingness to aid the Philippines.
Laure Beaufils, the United Kingdom’s ambassador to the Philippines, said Friday night that her mission is “closely following the situation” and “stands ready to assist.”
“The United Kingdom stands in solidarity with all those in the Philippines who have been affected by Typhoon Odette, and we express our heartfelt sympathies to those who have lost loved ones,” she said.
According to Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian, Beijing is eager to help impacted families stay afloat “in the spirit of Bayanihan.”
“We are saddened to learn that Typhoon Odette has wreaked havoc on families in the Visayas and Mindanao regions. In the face of this challenge, we stand in solidarity with all affected Filipino families “he stated
Ambassador Peter MacArthur of Canada said his mission is in touch with its Philippine counterparts.
“Canada is standing by all who have been impacted by Typhoon Odette. We’ve reached out to our Philippines partners and are prepared to help. We extend our condolences to those who have been harmed and may have lost family members, homes, and livelihoods “he wrote in a tweet
Meanwhile, the EU Delegation in Manila expressed its sympathies to the deceased’s families.
READ: ‘Odette’ kills six people in Mandaue; Cebu districts lack power and water
“The EU expresses its solidarity with the Philippine government and those impacted by ‘Odette,’ particularly those in the Visayas and Mindanao. Our thoughts are with the bereaved families “It was stated.
“The situation is being monitored by EU ECHO (European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations). We stand ready to help, as we have in the past “It was also added.
As of 2 a.m. on December 18, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) reported that “Odette” had slowed while traveling west-northwestward towards the Kalayaan Islands.
Following the typhoon’s onslaught, severe damage has been reported across the Visayas region and several provinces in Mindanao.
The typhoon affected 11,859 families or 41,434 people in 249 barangays across Bicol, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, and Caraga, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council’s (NDRRMC) December 17 situation report.
Meanwhile, Japanese Ambassador Kazuhiko Koshikawa praised the “brave first responders” of the area’s ongoing disaster relief and recovery efforts.
The Irish Embassy in Manila also expressed its condolences to the families who have been affected.
“The level of devastation wreaked by Typhoon Odette so far has astounded the Irish Embassy. All of the families of those who sadly lost their lives, as well as all those who have been affected by this calamity, are in our thoughts and prayers “It was stated.
Ambassador Steven Robinson of Australia also expressed his sympathy to those affected by “Odette.”
“We have released pre-positioned emergency supplies in collaboration with the Philippine Red Cross, and we are continuing to engage with the Philippines on other alternatives to help,” he said on Saturday.