WebAdmin 1 0 0 5 min to read

PH won’t be re-joining ICC, says Marcos

The International Criminal Court (ICC) is not something the Philippines plans to re-join, according to President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.

Marcos insisted that the government is already looking into all fatalities connected to the Duterte administration’s campaign against illegal narcotics in an interview with reporters in Pasig City.

On July 27, he claimed to have met with Solicitor General Menardo Guevarra, the President’s Legal Adviser Juan Ponce Enrile, Executive Secretary Victor Rodriguez, the Secretary of Foreign Affairs Enrique Manalo, the Secretary of Justice Jesus Crispin Remulla, and attorney Harry Roque to discuss this.

“Dahil sinasabi ngayon ay itutuloy yung imbestigasyon, ang mineeting natin ay. E says that this is a case of imbestigasyon. Patuloy rin man is bestigasyon, how about ganun kakaroon? (What we talked about in the meeting is how the ICC plans to move forward with its investigation. But we’re claiming that it’s already being looked into in this place. Why would there be a need for it) when is the investigation still ongoing? he questioned.

However, Marcos claimed that the government is debating the essential actions that must be implemented.

So that we may be certain of our next course of action, whether we would answer or not, “Para alam natin ang gagawin natin. “If we reply, what would the response be, or maybe we simply ignore them since we are no longer a member of the ICC, ” he continued. “Kung sakali man sasagot tayo ano magiging sagot natin o posible din basta hindi natin papansinin dahil hindi naman tayo sumasailalim sa kanil

He stressed the importance of carefully evaluating the government’s response to the formal request from the ICC Office of the Prosecutor to resume investigations into the human rights situation in the Philippines.

Prosecutor Karim Khan requested that the Pre-Trial Chamber resume its investigation into the drug war in a 53-page document that was posted on the International Criminal Court’s website on June 24 (Manila time). He noted that the Philippines’ investigation “does not sufficiently mirror the investigation to be conducted by the Prosecution.”

Seven months after it had been suspended at the government’s request, this formal request was made.

Khan’s appeal comes a year after his predecessor, former prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, asked the court for permission to conduct a thorough inquiry into the country’s human rights situation.

Just a few weeks after Bensouda declared a preliminary investigation into the administration’s drug war was in progress, former President Rodrigo Duterte in March 2018 ordered the Philippines’ departure from the Rome Statute.

A year after the Rome Statute was revoked, on March 17, 2019, the Philippines formally severed ties with the ICC.

According to Duterte, the Rome Statute, which established the ICC, said that the organization could only bring charges in response to such allegations if the member country had a functioning legal system or the government refused to do so.

Marcos previously declared he would maintain the Duterte administration’s zeal for the drug war while focusing on the “prevention side” as opposed to the “enforcement side” that was carried out by the previous administration.

He announced in January that he would permit ICC members to visit the nation, but only as tourists and not as investigators.

Please follow and like us:
error1
fb-share-icon
Tweet 2k
fb-share-icon20
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x