Oliver Bugarin 12 0 0 5 min to read

News from NegOr a 96% increase in cases of typhoid

An official from the provincial health office (PHO) said on Thursday that there has been a marked rise in the number of typhoid fever cases in Negros Oriental compared to last year.

According to a report from the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit of the PHO, a total of 279 cases with three deaths were documented between January 1 and August 20 of this year, Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Liland Estacion revealed to the Philippine News Agency.

She claimed that when compared to the 142 cases and zero deaths during the same period last year, the figure is 96% higher.

With the arrival of the rainy season and floods, we are witnessing a surge in cases, which are most likely caused by tainted water and food, according to Estacion. “The typhoid bacterium can be transmitted to others via the oral-fecal route.”

She said in a mix of both English and Cebuano, “Water reservoirs that are not properly constructed could be breached by floodwater that may be contaminated with human excrement.”

Estacion recommended the populace to boil water for consumption for about 15 minutes and to take precautions like inspecting water pipes for leakage.

In addition, she said, people can purchase water purification tablets or ask health facilities for chlorine stock solutions made by sanitary inspectors.

The most instances of typhoid were reported in Guihulngan City, where there were 75 cases, followed by Bayawan City with 29, Ayungon and Dumaguete City with 22 each, Sta. Catalina with 17, Canlaon City with 16, Mabinay with 14, Tayasan with 12, and Vallehermoso with 11. The remainder had 10 instances or less.

Guihulngan City received reports of the three fatalities.

As face-to-face classes resume in public and private schools, the number of dengue cases in the province also continues to rise. Health authorities are working feverishly to stop the disease’s spread.

According to Estacion’s office’s most recent data, there were 1,270 instances overall with six fatalities from January 1 to August 20 of this year.

According to her, this is 165 percent more cases than the same period last year, when there were 480 cases and no deaths.

Young people are the most afflicted by this viral virus, so we must be proactive in our anti-dengue efforts, Estacion stated in a combination of mixed English and Cebuano. “In the previous many weeks, we noted an uphill climb in dengue cases.

According to a PHO report, the affected age ranged from less than one month to 81 years old, with 11% of the total cases affecting children aged 1 to 10. Canlaon City had 244 instances, followed by Bayawan City with 148, Dumaguete City with 140, Guihulngan City with 111, Bais City with 66, Sibulan with 65, and Sta. Catalina with 62. Other towns and cities either had fewer than 50 cases or none at all.

According to the most recent PHO report, no additional deaths were reported.

Estacion urged parents, teachers, and schools to take proactive steps to prevent pupils from getting the disease, especially during this “epidemic year,” a three-year cycle that is anticipated to see an increase in dengue cases.


***
We appreciate your reading. You may also consider sharing it with others.
Please comment below if you found this post interesting.
Be one of our DONOR / SPONSOR to support NextGenDay news website.
***
Please follow and like us:
error1
fb-share-icon
Tweet 2k
fb-share-icon20
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x